Back To Normal

After 10 days of traveling around the Northeast, it has been back to normal daily life here in Alaska.

I want so badly to jump right back into running and training like normal, but know I need to take it easy. I usually follow this plan when recovering from a marathon—increasing my mileage by 25%, 50%, and then 75% each week. It has worked well in the past, so I’ll probably do that again this time around. However, I don’t feel nearly as fatigued this time around as I usually do after a marathon. As I’ve done more marathons (Boston was my 5th), my body seems to recover faster each time.

I also know I need to take it easy because of the injuries I had the 6 months prior to the marathon. Thankfully, they did not bother me during the marathon, but on Tuesday morning my hamstring was giving me a little bit of pain after a couple of miles. It is a lot better than it used to be, but I know something still isn’t right. Thankfully, my glute hasn’t given me problems—although it may have moved to a spot higher in my glute where my back meets my glute.


On Tuesday morning I did cover 3 miles in just over 25 minutes. It is so nice not to have snow on the roads to deal with anymore. As you can see we still have snow everywhere else though. DSC_0348

Tuesday after work, I treated myself to an hour massage at Studio 3 in downtown Anchorage. I am simply amazed at the work Katie does each time I go and see her. She gave me an awesome recovery massage, and I was feeling very refreshed afterwards. DSC_0352

Since getting back to my normal routine, I am also eating better. Vegetables were definitely lacking last week during our vacation. All I wanted was protein after the marathon! I treated myself to what my body was craving and even indulged in a couple of desserts, which was a sweet treat after giving up desserts for over three months.

Protein spinach smoothies and salads are back in my diet. I do not make very good salads at home, but I do like Annie’s Goddess salad dressing, which definitely improves my bland salads. I rarely buy the same salad dressing twice, but this is one flavor I keep going back to. I know Trader Joe’s also makes a similar version and from what I remember, it tastes very similar. DSC_0356

I also discovered a new type of cracker I really like. I am a sucker for crackers—crunchy carbs are my favorite. I was tired of my regular cracker rotation, so I gave these Late July classic rich crackers a try. These, of course, are the Ritz version minus all the funky ingredients. And just so you know they are way better than Ritz. DSC_0358

I also had this Luna bar for lunch today. I am a big fan of Luna bars. I like almost every flavor and was excited to try this new flavor: Carrot Cake. The bar had a very strong spice flavor—almost too strong. I liked it, but I could see how others would think it was too much spice.  DSC_0359

Prior to going to Boston I got a Shellac manicure at Body Works Salon and Spa, and I’m happy to report that it is still looking great after two weeks. My nails have grown out a bit, but it looks better than chipped edges.

The first time I got a Shellac manicure, it only last about a week and the edges near my cuticles started to lift and peel off. I called the nail salon to ask them if it was something I did or application error. They said it was probably due to my nails being too dry, so I was skeptical to try it again. Well, then I went to Body Works and inquired about a Shellac manicure. I told the nail esthetician what had happened, and she said that the polish had lifted because the Shellac polish had been applied too close too my cuticles. If the polish touches the cuticles, the oils from the cuticles will cause the polish to lift. When I had my Shellac manicure done this time, the polish didn’t touch my cuticles, and I haven’t had any problems with the paint peeling off.




Ever tried a Shellac manicure? What did you think?

Share your tips for recovering from a marathon—or a longer race.


8 responses to “Back To Normal

  1. I’m always scared after a marathon…. I usually wait two weeks until I start running again. I heard Ryan Hall talk about waiting that long, and that’s the only reason why 🙂

    I’ve never done shellac, but I’ve used incoco which is self applied”dry enamel” which I’ve heard is similar.

    I’m glad you’re home safe!

  2. I’ve been looking for a good masseuse in Anchorage. How did you find her? Do you mind sharing how much she charges?

    • I got a recommendation from one of the Skinny Raven Training Group coaches. She charges $100/hour, so it is definitely up there in price. I’ve also seen a Tiffany at Luminary who was really good! She charged $65/70 per hour (if I remember correctly), so more reasonable. I don’t know if she is still there though.

      • Did you join the SR training group? I’m very intrigued but $150 seems pretty steep for something that I feel like I should be able to do on my own. That said, I don’t have any running friends, and it might be nice to become part of the running community up here.

      • I was a part of the SR training group last winter. I wanted to do it again this winter, but I was injured. I totally get it–why pay $150 to run when you can do it on your own. BUT I find I work a lot harder when I am pushed by others and people are watching me. Plus it is nice to change up the routine and meet some new people. And in the winter, you get to use the dome every Wednesday evening for just an additional $25, which is way better than the $10/time fee they usually charge. If you have more questions let me know. I’m thinking about joining this spring/summer again. It will just depend upon how faster I can recover.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s